By Stephanie Cox
It is no surprise this year has seen an increase in unemployment claims. Unfortunately, the FBI has found some of these claims are, in fact, fraudulent. We have gathered these steps you can take once you have discovered a claim is fraudulent.
- Access the Federal Trade Commission to report the incident by clicking here.
- Contact your local police department. Reports can often be made online.
- Report the claim to your state’s Department of Labor. Click here to find your state’s information.
- Call Equifax (866.349.5191), Experian (888.397.3742) or TransUnion (800.680.7289) to set a fraud alert for your credit record.
- Alert your organization’s banks, credit cards and other financial institutions to monitor for irregularities.
- Cross reference your Social Security earning statements to ensure their accuracy. You can create an account for free by clicking here.